The Town Fund
The Town Fund is a new funding scheme launched by the government for towns like Redditch to improve their economy. More information about the scheme can be found in the Town Fund Prospectus published in November 2019.
The government invited 101 towns to develop proposals for a Town Deal, as part of the £3.6 billion Fund. Redditch is one of the towns across the country eligible to bid for up to £25m for the Town Fund. The Town Deal will cover the whole of the Redditch borough.
We have also been awarded £173,029 from the government to support developing the bid for this funding. Through this process we will have to say which projects will be identified, what funding is required; and how these projects fit with the wider, longer term plan for our continued regeneration.
We need to bring forward firm proposals developed in close working relationship with our community, partners, private and public investors.
What is the Redditch Town Deal?
The council will be using the initial funding award to develop a Town Investment Plan and then agree a Town Deal with the government by the end of January 2021.
The funding will be used to engage with our communities and partners to develop the deal and prepare a joint bid for this funding. There will also be the scope to argue for additional funding which may come from other sources or branches of government and private investment, to support the implementation of a Town Deal. It offers an opportunity for Redditch to address many of the remaining social and economic challenges in the town as a whole.
How will we develop the plans for the deal?
The council has established a 'Town Deal Board' in accordance with the guidance detailed in the Town Fund prospectus. It includes local businesses, community representatives, council officers and other partners committed to improving the town. The Board will oversee the development of the Town Investment Plan together with the council as lead partner.
What is the objective?
The investment plan will represent our future vision and ambition for Redditch, and will help us towards taking steps to achieve many of our objectives. It will be our prospectus for the future, showing both public and private funders and investors that we are open for business.
The objective will be to use the funding to provide jobs, homes, skills and take actions to reduce our carbon emissions, benefitting residents across the whole town.
You can find out more about the Town Deal on the government's website
Redditch Town Investment Plan
Please see below the final Redditch Town Investment Plan that was submitted to the Government on Friday 29th January 2021
- Redditch TIP1 Submission
- Redditch TIP Appendix A Socio Economic Baseline
- Redditch TIP Appendix B UK Future Trading Arrangements With The EU
- Redditch TIP Appendix C Community Consultation Final Report
- Redditch TIP Appendix D Summary Of Consultation With Councillors
- Redditch TIP Appendix E Letters Of Support
- Redditch TIP Appendix F Future Engagement Strategy
- Redditch TIP Appendix G Project Prioritisation
- Redditch TIP Appendix H Spatial Strategy
- Redditch TIP Appendix I RBC Governance Model
- Redditch TIP Appendix J RBC Project Governance Board Tor
- Redditch TIP Appendix K RBC Monitoring And Claiming Process
- Redditch TIP Appendix L Request For Change Form
- Redditch TIP Appendix M Soft Market Testing
Questions & Answers
What is a 'Town Deal?
The Town Fund is the name of the funding the government has launched to support towns like Redditch to improve their economy. To find out more, read the Town Fund Prospectus
Will Redditch and the other 100 towns automatically get up to £25m?
No, we will have to work with partners and the community over the next year to put together a strong investment plan and business case that the government will then need to approve.
Have you already decided what you are going to spend the £25m on?
No, the council will establish a ‘Town Deal Board', which will include members from the local community, businesses, and other partners committed to improving Redditch.
The board will develop the investment plan. This plan will focus on the three key themes set out by the government for the fund:
- Urban regeneration, planning and land use
- Skills and enterprise infrastructure
- Connectivity – transport (roads, buses, cycling, walking) and digital connectivity like broadband
What is the role of the council?
The council's primary role will be working with its community and partners to develop and agree the Town Deal with the government.
Further development and implementation may be carried out by a variety of organisations but Redditch Borough Council will be the responsible body for the funds to the government.
What is the role of the Town Deal board?
The Board will be the vehicle through which the vision and strategy for the town is defined. The board will include members from the local community, businesses, and other partners committed to improving Redditch.
Its key tasks will be:
- Develop and agree an evidenced based Town Investment Plan
- Develop a clear programme of interventions
- Coordinate resources and influence stakeholders.
Have you been given any funding to do the initial work?
Yes, the council has received £173,029 'capacity funding' to prepare for the town deal and to deliver the following:
- Convene Town Deal Board
- Run business and wider community engagement events
- Develop Town Investment Plans
- Commission technical expertise for business case development.
‘Have your say’
Following on from the governments ‘My Town Campaign’, we are seeking the views of residents to find out what they would like to see happening in Redditch, and where investment could make the biggest difference to their lives.
This short survey, which only takes 5 minutes to complete, is an opportunity for people living in Redditch to give input about what matters to them.
Anyone that lives in Redditch can take part as long as they are over 16 years old.
We are asking you to complete the survey and also send on to your friends, family, professional networks, and other contacts living in Redditch so we can get the views of as many people as possible.
There is also the opportunity to get involved in a prize draw for anyone who completes the survey, where 5 randomly selected winners will have the chance to win a £30 Love2Shop voucher
Terms of reference
The board, agendas and minutes
- Redditch Town Deal Board Thursday 30th January 2020 Agenda
- Redditch Town Deal Board Thursday 30th January 2020 Minutes
- Redditch Town Deal Board Friday 29th May 2020 Agenda
- Redditch Town Deal Board Friday 29th May 2020 Minutes
- Redditch Town Deal Board Friday 3rd July 2020 Agenda
- Redditch Town Deal Board Friday 3rd July 2020 Minutes
- Redditch Town Deal Board Friday 31st July 2020 Agenda
- Redditch Town Deal Board Friday 31st July 2020 Minutes
- Redditch Town Deal Board Friday 18th September 2020 Agenda
- Redditch Town Deal Board Friday 18th September 2020 Minutes
- Redditch Town Deal Board Friday 23rd October 2020 Agenda
- Redditch Town Deal Board Friday 23rd October 2020 Minutes
- Redditch Town Deal Board Friday 20th November 2020 Agenda
- Redditch Town Deal Board Friday 20th November 2020 Minutes
- Redditch Town Deal Board Thursday 3rd December 2020 Agenda
- Redditch Town Deal Board Thursday 3rd December 2020 Minutes
For further information or questions concerning the Town Deal please contact Lyndsey Berry